"Welcome to Japan, folks. The local time is . . . tomorrow."
- from 30 Minutes Over Tokyo, The Simpsons, Season 10

Monday, July 14, 2008

The Ideas Keep Coming

Among other revisions necessary for my story, I've been playing with the idea of giving it a new opening. I figure for a semi-action novel, the opening needs to start with a lot more action (because so far, the action doesn't really start until chapter 2). And last night, I finally figured out how to do that. Or, what that starting action should be. Plus, if I do it right, it should create some additional suspense. Of course it means I'll be creating a new chapter 1, chapter 1 will become chapter 2, I'll create a new chapter 3, and chapter 3 will become chapter 4 etc. But then later on, there's a chapter or two that I want to remove from book 1 and put into book 2 (with some changes, of course. But I won't get to that until I've finished this one.)

I haven't made any changes to the story yet. So far, I've just been taking notes on what new ideas I come up with as I've been typing my novel. It's probably a good thing too, since I don't know if I'll keep all the new ideas I have, or if they even make sense for the story. But once I have my novel typed (which will hopefully be by either Thursday or Friday), I can make a list of all the changes I want to make a list of all the changes I want to incorporate, so I'm not adding unnecessary changes.

I still have a lot of work ahead of me, but I'm still pretty excited about all the work I have to do.

No comments: