"Welcome to Japan, folks. The local time is . . . tomorrow."
- from 30 Minutes Over Tokyo, The Simpsons, Season 10

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Cosplay

Disclaimer: I've never cosplayed before. It's not that I don't want to, I just can't settle on a costume to make.

I was reading this post about cosplaying characters other than slave Leia and got to thinking.

For instance, I love cosplay but have never made a costume because I didn't know what to make. I was never interested in being another slave Leia, but didn't want to be a stormtrooper either.

But then I've always wanted to make a Sailor Moon/Jupiter costume and try to get my husband to be Tuxedo Mask. More specifically, I'd like to create a Princess Moon costume from the live action TV series just because I think that one looks the best. But since I have brown hair like Sailor Jupiter and. My favorite color is green, I think it'd be easier to create an Eternal Sailor Jupiter costume. Especially since I got white boots needed for an Eternal costume on Dale after Halloween last year.

Or to do a Rukia/Ichigo combo. Since my husband has the "orange" hair.

Of course I was also considering playing one of the girls from Star Trek's Mirror Universe just because my husband picked up the pin for it while he was in Japan and I think it looks better than any of the other pins. So go figure.

It was brought up in the comments section that girls dress up as slave Leia or other outfits that focus n sex appeal to help acquire a mate. It's probably true. I was just never one of them. (What with not cosplaying and not going to a convention until after I was married and all.) in fact, I think I'm the opposite of these mate baiters.

Before I got married, I dressed fairly conservatively. It wasn't until after I got married that I started wearing shorter skirts, lower cut tops, etc.. One, I wanted to show off for my husband, who wanted to show off to everyone, basically saying, look how hot my wife is, aren't you jealous. And two, I was just more comfortable in my own body.

But then I always admired the girls who dressed as slave Leia, because I could never do that.

No comments: