"Welcome to Japan, folks. The local time is . . . tomorrow."
- from 30 Minutes Over Tokyo, The Simpsons, Season 10

Sunday, December 27, 2009

What Baby Wants

So I think I've encountered the first of many times where what I would pick out for my son is not what he would pick out for himself. Shocking, I know. But it is.

For Christmas, my sister took me on a shopping spree to get whatever baby stuff I wanted. And one of the things on my list was this toy that the kid could push it as they practiced walking behind it, or you could put the seat down and the kid could ride it. Only I wanted the one that had a big lion head on the front where you could push the lion's nose and it would talk to you. But there was another on at the store for half the cost, didn't talk, didn't have a cute lion's face staring at you, and had a whole bunch of things the kid could spin to see different colors or make noise.

When it comes to two items that I'm kind of torn between which one I want to get, I'll show them to my son and have him pick them out. Yeah, I realize he's not even a year old, he's only eight-and-a-half months right now, but I've been letting him choose things for quite a while now.

And really, I wanted the lion walker/rider, but my sister was like, well, this other one's half the cost, so you could buy more stuff. So we set the two boxes on the floor at the store and let the little guy choose which one he wanted.

Of course, he went for the cheaper one.

So we got that one, got some other stuff for him (the usual diapers, wipes, sippy cups, flatware, plates, and toys), and we were good to go.

It was only after I got home, had my husband put together his new walker/rider, go to sleep, only to be woken up by a hungry baby that I started thinking, you know, maybe I should have gotten the lion instead. That was the one thing I wanted to get, but didn't.

Then, this morning, the little guy was playing with his new toys and seemed to really like the walker/rider he picked out. So even though I liked the lion one better, he seems pretty happy with the one he picked out.

No comments: