"Welcome to Japan, folks. The local time is . . . tomorrow."
- from 30 Minutes Over Tokyo, The Simpsons, Season 10

Thursday, February 28, 2008

I Love Dreams

Well there's been a delay in my time travel research, since this morning I had this really good dream that's begging me to turn it into a story. So I've been working on transcribing the dream into the prologue for a new novel, meaning I had to come up with character names. And then to make sure that I wasn't just making words up in my sleep, I wanted to look up a couple words on the internet (also to see what they actually mean, non-dreamwise). It's a pretty exciting story that's similar to most of the other stuff I write (like it has strong supernatural elements to it), but it also has the potential to be a lot darker and grittier than most of the stuff I write (though knowing me, it'll probably end up being "fluffy bunnies" since I can't seem to write dark for the life of me).

All I know is that my two main characters are partners, named Aurora Dawn and Kala Black. Aurora is a gaia (don't worry, in the context of this new world, I have no idea what that means either) and Kala is a ?? (though he's probably another gaia). The two of them are tracking down this man (I don't know why - but dreams aren't necessarily the best at providing motivation now are they), but they find out that he's a gana. And yes, that's a bad thing. Actually, it's a really, really bad thing since ganas (at least in the context of this world) are the most powerful supernaturals in existence. Goody for my heroes, right?

No comments: